Small Steps lead to BIG Changes
Environmental action starts with individual choices. The Earth observation sector is filled with people passionate about protecting our planet. When we get together to discuss how we can use our technology to protect our Earth and its people – this year with a focus on policies that deliver socially and environmentally beneficial progress – we think it makes sense to consider our impact on the planet in doing so, and maybe influence a few others to do the same in the process.
EARSC’s goal is to make sustainability the standard rather than an alternative. We will use the EXPANDEO conference as a first step to raise awareness about climate change, green deal, and influencing change among attendees and work collaboratively toward protecting the environment. By organizing EXPANDEO in the Museum of Natural Sciences and thus generating income for them, we help children to discover the museum and its collections, we contribute to the knowledge of biodiversity, and we finance new galleries and research projects. See below the steps we are taking to achieve this goal.
Location and Transportation
Sustainable destination. The venue chosen for this event is easily reachable by different green transportation.
- Public transportation: Tram, Metro, Bus
EXPANDEO stimulates visitors to use the public transport system to travel to the venue.
Sustainability and Food
Reducing food waste
1.3 billion tonnes of food gets wasted every year. We would rather be part of the solutions than the problem, so we will be trying to manage our attendance list a accurately as possible. Please reply to our final confirmation email a couple of days before the event to allow us to get it just right. ;).
Our caterer has been chosen based on the policies and the measures that they take regarding Climate Change. They prefer to work with seasonal and regional products, adapting the menu offering a range of food with veggie, vegan, gluten and lactose-free options.
Since the beginning of the planning, we are conscious about printing. We are now focused on digital marketing which reduces the negative impact on the environment but also gives us flexibility. In case we can’t avoid printing, we will carefully use the right printing format. We also encourage our partners to follow the same policy.
Planning and execution in general
The EARSC team is committed to make conscious decisions to be sustainable during the whole preparation and execution phase of EXPANDEO.
Accessibility and Inclusiveness
- Sustainability starts with disability inclusion and accessibility. The conference venue can be accessed by everyone. See more details here!
- During the organization of the event, diversity among speakers, attendees, and organizers, is pursued, with respect to gender, nationality, and career stage. Also, the event is hybrid which always helps the diversity.
- EXPANDEO will also be online which will allow people with disabilities or mobility issues or with limited financial resources to attend it.
Our daily way of life has a huge impact on our planet.
TEN SIMPLE THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP PROTECT THE EARTH
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Cut down on what you throw away. Follow the three “R’s” to conserve natural resources and landfill space.
- Volunteer. Volunteer for clean-ups in your community. You can get involved in protecting your watershed, too.
- Educate. When you further your own education, you can help others understand the importance and value of our natural resources.
- Conserve water. The less water you use, the less runoff and wastewater that eventually end up in the ocean.
- Choose sustainable.
- Shop wisely. Buy less plastic and bring a reusable shopping bag.
- Use long-lasting light bulbs. Energy-efficient light bulbs reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Also, flip the light switch off when you leave the room!
- Plant a tree. Trees provide food and oxygen. They help save energy, clean the air, and help combat climate change.
- Don’t send chemicals into our waterways. Choose non-toxic chemicals in the home and office.
- Bike more. Drive less.
If you have any other ideas on how to make EXPANDEO a green event, contact us (email@example.com). We will be very happy to hear from you.